Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg received the long-awaited 22 July Commission report from leader Alexandra Bech Gjørv at his residence in the centre of Oslo, Monday.
On a day awaited by many, she told NRK this morning she had prepared herself for the handover today following what she described as "a super intense year."
"The handing over of this report today ends the 22 July Commission’s work. This report was unlike any other in that it was a terror attack…no one in Norway was untouched,” she said.
“The events of 22 July showed that Norway pulled together and that it has many positive sides (…) many civilian volunteers wanted to help. At the same time, there is a lot to learn and that is important for our society.”
Only a handful of people knew of the contents of the report before it was delivered this morning. According to her, it was just the secretary, the 10-person Commission and their working partners.
“We also informed some people in advance who have a special mention in the report, so that they may prepare in advance," Alexandra Bech Gjørv informed reporters.
She was also interested to see how the 22 July Commission’s report would be met and what peoples’ reactions would be.
"The report will ignite a wider discussion on how Norway will be in the future”, adding, "The report is very comprehensive so there will be many news items. In addition, we hope that this will form a good basis for discussion on how we would like it to be in Norway."
Before receiving the document, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said, "The commission will conduct an independent and broad review, as well as an evaluation to learn from the attacks on government headquarters and Utøya. This is to allow Norwegian society to avert and meet future attacks in the best possible way, as well as guard its important values of openness and democracy."
He thanked the Commission and their leader for their work.
Alexandra Bech Gjørv is a partner at the law firm Hjort, and former Executive Director of Hydro.
77 people were killed and 242 were hurt on 22 July last year as a result of Anders Behring Breivik’s twin attacks. Prime Minister Stoltenberg has apologised for the delayed arrest of Anders Behring Breivik and insufficient safeguards. He has also said it is his responsibility and the government is now going to act, without elaborating further so far.
Oslo District Court will pronounce its verdict on 24 August.
Update on today's press conference with Alexandra Bech Gjørv to come.
Like this article? Show your appreciation.
Support the Foreigner
If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting the Foreigner by donating using Pay Pal or credit/debit card.