Molde FK coach Ole Gunnar Solskjær was reportedly tempted after talks with the Midlands club but changed his mind.
Solskjær, who once again denied plans to become Aston Villa manager, was firm favourite. However, the Norwegian announced his next career move will not be with the Premier League club.
According to Aston Villa press spokespersons, Solskjær said he declined the job for family reasons and adds that he will answer questions after Molde’s training session on Wednesday afternoon.
The Norwegian, who helped Molde FK to their first title last season, travelled to Birmingham last week. He talked to reporters at Kvernberget Airport in Kristiansund yesterday evening after returning from a dinner with Molde sponsor and businessperson Kjell Inge Røkke.
“I will not answer hypothetical questions. We’ll deal with this later and soon reveal how things are going to be from now on,” the former Manchester United striker told NRK.
British media had mixed reactions to Solskjær’s decision. Birmingham Mail reporter Matt Kendrick said the outcome was disappointing. “I think it’s sad. I’d been looking forward to Solskjær and something new.”
Express and Star journalist, Tim Abraham was also shocked by the decision. He said, “Nobody had expected this. It was very surprising. We thought we were busy up to the deadline, but it all took a new turn.”
However, former Aston Villa winger Tim Morley said the prospects of Solskjær joining the Premier League side would have been a risk.
He told TalkSport radio, He’s [Aston Villa owner, Randy Lerner] got to go for someone more experienced than Ole Gunnar Solskjær. Solskjær might go on to be the best manager in the world in ten years' time but he’s never managed in the Premier League.”
Like this article? Show your appreciation.