Breivik visits Utøya under heavy police guard / News / The Foreigner

Breivik visits Utøya under heavy police guard. Norwegian police took Anders Behring Breivik back to Utøya yesterday afternoon for his almost eight-hour long shooting reconstruction. “We wanted to shed light on the case and gain as much information as possible. It was particularly important to stage a reconstruction and conduct questioning on the spot, also out of consideration for all those involved and affected. Many new details emerged,” says police lawyer Pål Fredrik Kraby at today’s press conference broadcast by NRK. Breivik was transported from his solitary confinement at Ila prison to the island in an armoured car under heavy guard wearing a bulletproof vest. Police had run through several worst-case scenarios.

andersbehringbreivik, utoeyashootings, oslobombing



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Breivik visits Utøya under heavy police guard

Published on Sunday, 14th August, 2011 at 14:03 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last Updated on 14th August 2011 at 21:50.

Norwegian police took Anders Behring Breivik back to Utøya yesterday afternoon for his almost eight-hour long shooting reconstruction.

Oslo after the terror
Oslo after the terror
Photo: Henrik Lied, NRK/Flickr


“We wanted to shed light on the case and gain as much information as possible. It was particularly important to stage a reconstruction and conduct questioning on the spot, also out of consideration for all those involved and affected. Many new details emerged,” says police lawyer Pål Fredrik Kraby at today’s press conference broadcast by NRK.

Breivik was transported from his solitary confinement at Ila prison to the island in an armoured car under heavy guard wearing a bulletproof vest. Police had run through several worst-case scenarios.

He arrived at the mainland quayside at approximately 14:00 and was driven onboard MS Thorbjørn, the actual ferry he took to carry out his killing spree on 22 July.

Throughout the entire operation, lasting almost eight hours and filmed by civilian police officers for use under further questioning, Kraby says the accused had a harness fastened to his waist “to prevent escape and Breivik harming himself.”

“Security was vital, with as few as possible knowing about the operation. There was an exclusion zone for boats and a no-fly zone over Utøya. In keeping with his almost 50 hours of interrogation so far, Breivik was calm, detailed, and willing to cooperate.”

Police drove Breivik back to his incarceration at approximately 21:30.

“He was not unaffected by being back on Utøya,” concludes Kraby.



Published on Sunday, 14th August, 2011 at 14:03 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last updated on 14th August 2011 at 21:50.

This post has the following tags: andersbehringbreivik, utoeyashootings, oslobombing.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!