Deputy Minister condemns transport authorities / News / The Foreigner

Deputy Minister condemns transport authorities. The Norwegian government has reacted sharply after recent major traffic problems caused commuter chaos in and around Oslo. Closures and restrictions following last week’s lorry fire at the bottom of Oslofjordtunnelen, disruption caused by rail upgrades and maintenance work in Oslotunnelen, as well as bridge repair work on the E6 motorway at Furuset caused misery for many motorists yesterday. A considerable number were left sitting for hours in tailbacks on the way to work, with kilometres of traffic almost at a standstill. Worst hit were the Eastbound E18 and North and Southbound carriageways of the E6 motorways into Oslo.

larserikbartnesdeputytransportminister, oslotrafficandrailchaos



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Deputy Minister condemns transport authorities

Published on Tuesday, 28th June, 2011 at 22:26 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .

The Norwegian government has reacted sharply after recent major traffic problems caused commuter chaos in and around Oslo.

Deputy Minister Lars Erik Bartnes (2010)
'Yesterday's situation was unacceptable.'Deputy Minister Lars Erik Bartnes (2010)
Photo: Trondheim Havn/Flickr


Closures and restrictions following last week’s lorry fire at the bottom of Oslofjordtunnelen, disruption caused by rail upgrades and maintenance work in Oslotunnelen, as well as bridge repair work on the E6 motorway at Furuset caused misery for many motorists yesterday.

A considerable number were left sitting for hours in tailbacks on the way to work, with kilometres of traffic almost at a standstill. Worst hit were the Eastbound E18 and North and Southbound carriageways of the E6 motorways into Oslo.

“We summoned rail company NSB and the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (NPRA/Vegvesenet) to a meeting today, informing them that Monday’s events were unacceptable,” Deputy Minister Lars Erik Bartnes at the Ministry of Transport and Communications told The Foreigner, afterwards.

Traffic was flowing better today, with many commuters switching to public transport or using alternative routes. Nevertheless, officials at the meeting had to update the government regarding what they were going to do from now, as well as being told to take measures ensuring a similar situation would not happen in the future.

“Things were not planned well enough in advance, and the NPRA was tasked with establishing a permanent cooperation agency immediately, comprising itself, NSB, the Airport Express Train (Flytoget), the National Rail Administration (Jernbaneverket), and Oslo’s Ruter public transport coordination company,” says the Deputy Minister.

Advising as many commuters as possible to use public transport, he underlined, “another reason for the current situation is that rail and road maintenance is being carried out to a much greater degree than before.

“This has to be done in the summer months when demand is at its lowest. The alternative is to close rail lines and main roads,” he concluded.



Published on Tuesday, 28th June, 2011 at 22:26 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .

This post has the following tags: larserikbartnesdeputytransportminister, oslotrafficandrailchaos.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!