Mystery caller menaced Norway Labour / News / The Foreigner

The Foreigner Mystery caller menaced Norway Labour. A man rang government headquarters last year threatening to shoot Labour Youth Movement (AUF) members just months before Anders Behring Breivik’s twin attacks. Reports surfacing today suggest the menacing call, made by a man with a polished eastern Norway (Østlandet) dialect, also contained abusive and derogatory remarks directed against Jens Stoltenberg, his government, ex Social Democrat (SV) Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, and references to a manifesto. The incident lasted several minutes, but officials have no record of whom the person was. Written details of the person’s name, telephone number, and date of the call have since disappeared following the bomb explosion.

andersbehringbreivik, oslobombing, utoeyashootings, norwaygovernmentheadquarters



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Mystery caller menaced Norway Labour

Published on Friday, 6th January, 2012 at 15:56 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .

A man rang government headquarters last year threatening to shoot Labour Youth Movement (AUF) members just months before Anders Behring Breivik’s twin attacks.



Reports surfacing today suggest the menacing call, made by a man with a polished eastern Norway (Østlandet) dialect, also contained abusive and derogatory remarks directed against Jens Stoltenberg, his government, ex Social Democrat (SV) Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, and references to a manifesto.

The incident lasted several minutes, but officials have no record of whom the person was. Written details of the person’s name, telephone number, and date of the call have since disappeared following the bomb explosion.

Moreover, which official the call was transferred to is also unknown. According to NRK the female operator, who warned her superior, does not wish to comment about the matter and is unsure of exactly when the conversation took place. Although she has been interviewed, police have not yet asked for the audio logs. 

“It was not considered to be a concrete threat because the caller was so vague and incoherent,” says Eva Måge Brown, Government Administration Services (G.A.S.) head of section, “we still do not consider it to be one [even after 22nd July].”

She confirms this forms the basis of why police were not informed at the time but afterwards. Neither Mrs Måge Brown nor police wish elaborate further.

“Threats must be reported to police and the Police Security Service (PST), irrespective of how serious they are [generally-speaking]. Any threat is investigated […] It’s up to the PST and police to decide whether it is a threat, not the G.A.S.’ job,” PST information advisor Siv Alsén declares.

It is not clear whether the caller actually was Anders Behring Breivik, but the terrorist’s defence counsels have asked police to look into the matter.

“We are aware the conversation is included in the case documents, and are waiting for police to conclude their investigations. I think it’s strange [they have not requested the audio logs]. Besides knowing the caller’s identity, it’s important to establish whether this was an advance warning,” says Vibeke Hein Bæra, verifying only that this has been discussed this with their client.

Meanwhile, Christian Democrat (KrF) leader Knut Arild Hareide, head of Parliament’s 22 July Committee, says using hindsight is easy, but admits, “we have been naïve in certain areas and have to use what now know to ensure better preparedness from now on. The main focus was fighting Islamist terror pre-22 July, and we are now thinking more of Right-Extremism.”



Published on Friday, 6th January, 2012 at 15:56 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .

This post has the following tags: andersbehringbreivik, oslobombing, utoeyashootings, norwaygovernmentheadquarters.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!