Teenage Norway alleged terror suspect held for two weeks / News / The Foreigner

The Foreigner Teenage Norway alleged terror suspect held for two weeks. The indicted 17-year-old Russian citizen has asked to be released following police’s discovery of an explosive-type device at the weekend. Oslo District Court judges ordered the suspect to be detained for a period of 14 days, Monday. Their move follows officers’ find of what has been described as a bomb-like object in a crate at 10:35 pm on Saturday evening in Oslo’s eastern district of Grønland.

explosives, oslo, terror, paywall



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Teenage Norway alleged terror suspect held for two weeks

Published on Tuesday, 11th April, 2017 at 01:18 under the news category, by Sarah Bostock and Charlotte Bryan.
Last Updated on 11th April 2017 at 15:32.

The indicted 17-year-old Russian citizen has asked to be released following police’s discovery of an explosive-type device at the weekend.



Oslo District Court judges ordered the suspect to be detained for a period of 14 days, Monday.

Their move follows officers’ find of what has been described as a bomb-like object in a crate at 10:35 pm on Saturday evening in Oslo’s eastern district of Grønland.

The area around was sealed off for some time. This included Grønland metro station.

The suspect is identified as a seventeen year old Russian citizen. A former asylum seeker who came to Norway with his parents in 2010, he was granted permanent residency some two years ago.

A police bomb squad had examined the object before destroying it, reporting that it had been defused or neutralised at 1:28 am the following morning.  

Norway’s Police Security Service (PST) indicted the suspect for contravention of section 142, third paragraph, of the Penal Code. This covers illegal dealings with explosive material and terrorism-related acts.

The 17-year-old, who was brought for a five-and-a-half-hour interview with PST, Sunday, has denied any culpability regarding the terror indictment.

He has also stated that he is not a radical Islamist. He was apprehended after a parking attendant had warned police of a man acting suspiciously.

Locals where he lived have said that the suspect began showing sympathy for IS when he was 15, reports NRK.

A police lawyer has told the Norwegian broadcaster that the device consisted of a splinter and lighter fluid. Nails were taped to the outside of it, the legal professional also said.

NTB states that the device was primitive, with limited potential to cause injury.

Aase Karine Sigmond, the suspect’s defence counsel, has told NRK of the importance of not exaggerating the scope of the case against her client.

She also stated that PST cannot detain the 17-year-old for longer than two weeks because he is under 18.



Published on Tuesday, 11th April, 2017 at 01:18 under the news category, by Sarah Bostock and Charlotte Bryan.
Last updated on 11th April 2017 at 15:32.

This post has the following tags: explosives, oslo, terror, paywall.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!