Utøya survivors’ interviews ‘progressing’ / News / The Foreigner

The Foreigner Utøya survivors’ interviews ‘progressing’. Norwegian police are saying investigations into Anders Behring Breivik’s Utøya massacre are going to plan and hope for reduced media intrusion. The police have been under pressure due to their handling of the massacre, but Police Chief in Tromsø, Truls Fyhn, says officers there have already started to question witnesses in the region. “We are doing our utmost to get this over with quickly and have appointed a special group for this. More than 30 victims are to be interviewed, and several are already being questioned,” he tells Aftenposten.

andersbehringbreivik, utoeyashootings, policequestioning



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

}

Utøya survivors’ interviews ‘progressing’

Published on Wednesday, 17th August, 2011 at 09:06 under the news category, by John Price   .
Last Updated on 16th December 2011 at 20:28.

Norwegian police are saying investigations into Anders Behring Breivik’s Utøya massacre are going to plan and hope for reduced media intrusion.



The police have been under pressure due to their handling of the massacre, but Police Chief in Tromsø, Truls Fyhn, says officers there have already started to question witnesses in the region.

“We are doing our utmost to get this over with quickly and have appointed a special group for this. More than 30 victims are to be interviewed, and several are already being questioned,” he tells Aftenposten.

Nevertheless, colleges in Asker, Bærum and Sør-Trøndelag discovered survivors who attend their schools are yet to be questioned by officers. Five of these eyewitnesses are under 16-years of age, and should have been interviewed two weeks after the incident, the paper reports.

Anders Breivik, the man responsible for killing 69 political youth members on 22 July, revisited Utøya Island last weekend where the crimes took place. VG newspaper took exclusive and secret photos of his shooting poses, creating widespread uproar. VG have previously defended their actions.

Police lawyer Christian Hatlo fears the media’s intrusion, which has been heavily criticised by victims’ families, could influence interrogations of many of the aggrieved.

“There will, of course, always be a risk that witnesses will be affected. We think it was unfortunate that the pictures of the reconstruction on Utøya appeared in VG,” he said.




Published on Wednesday, 17th August, 2011 at 09:06 under the news category, by John Price   .
Last updated on 16th December 2011 at 20:28.

This post has the following tags: andersbehringbreivik, utoeyashootings, policequestioning.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!