Defence Minister issues conscription about turn order / News / The Foreigner

Defence Minister issues conscription about turn order. The Norwegian military is told to cease and desist from excluding Norwegian citizens with certain foreign backgrounds. Norway’s armed forces introduced the new practice requiring security clearance for all in September this year. Some 1,000 people from countries Norway has no security cooperation with have been refused first-time service. This replaces the old system of individual security clearances.

army, foreigners, norway, recruits, soldiers



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Defence Minister issues conscription about turn order

Published on Tuesday, 21st October, 2014 at 21:48 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last Updated on 22nd October 2014 at 08:56.

The Norwegian military is told to cease and desist from excluding Norwegian citizens with certain foreign backgrounds.

Defence Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide
“It appears that the practice has a negative impact,” the Minister of Defence says.Defence Minister Ine Eriksen Søreide
Photo: Conservative Party/Mick Tully/Flickr


Norway’s armed forces introduced the new practice requiring security clearance for all in September this year.

Some 1,000 people from countries Norway has no security cooperation with have been refused first-time service. This replaces the old system of individual security clearances.

Major Vegard Finberg, press spokesperson for Chief of Defence Admiral Haakon Bruun-Hanssen would not reveal which these countries are, saying the information is “classified”.

“This procedure is as a result of security laws, of course, not just one bright guy finding out it was a sensible thing to do. It’s been part of work on finding out how to handle the issue, work that has been going on for several years,” the Major told The Foreigner, Friday.

Not advised                      

MPs from various political Parties were displeased about the new procedure after news of it and its consequences broke.

Klassekampen also reported that Akhenaton de Leon, head of Organisajonen mot offentlig diskriminering (OMOD/the Organisation against Public Discrimination), advised everyone with a foreign background who had been refused first-time military service under this scheme to complain to the Equality and Anti-Discrimination Ombudsman.

Conservative (H) Minister of Defence Ine Eriksen Søreide stated at the weekend that neither she nor Admiral Bruun-Hansen had been informed about this procedural change before it took effect, however.

“Changes in procedures were made by the military, because everyone who is to serve must have a security clearance,” she told reporters. “It appears that the practice has a negative impact, so I have asked the Armed Forces for a review of the practice of these procedures.”

“Diversity welcome”

Military press spokesperson Major Vegard Finberg said that the Armed Forces welcome diversity.

“The military is to represent the population it is assigned to protect. Diversity among the soldiers is important to the Armed Forces,” he informed Klassekampen in an email.

He added that people who have been granted dispensation from serving in peacetime can apply for a new assessment should they still wish to serve.

Personnel will reconsider procedures following the Defence Minister’s demand, according to him.

Wise

On Monday, Anniken Huitfeldt, leader of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence for the Labour Party (Ap), said she expected the Minister of Defence to return to the previous system of individual security clearance.

Labour had intended to send a letter to Defence Minister Eriksen Søreide about the matter, wanting the new procedure withdrawn.

The Minister called a press conference later that day. She reiterated that neither she nor the Chief of Defence had been informed or involved in the decision-making process.

“I issued a clear notification [to the military] that this is a practice that does not work when I became aware of it.”

Sources in the Norwegian Parliament tell The Foreigner, Tuesday, that “it was probably wise of the Minister of Defence to revoke this procedure.”

“What was of most central importance was that most Parties in parliament were not willing to accept the practice. There was a majority against it and she would have had to have altered it anyway,” they conclude.



Published on Tuesday, 21st October, 2014 at 21:48 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last updated on 22nd October 2014 at 08:56.

This post has the following tags: army, foreigners, norway, recruits, soldiers.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!