Norway M.O.D: Several Afghan measures ‘improbable’ / News / The Foreigner

Norway M.O.D: Several Afghan measures ‘improbable’. On a current visit to Meymaneh, Minister of Defence Espen Barth Eide admits military forces were idealistic regarding the operation. Addressing Norway’s troops, Monday, the minister said, “The mission’s most important ambition was to prevent the county becoming a place of deployment for terrorism, whilst we simultaneously laid a foundation for an improved system of government. I believe this was achieved.” “However, it’s clear that many ambitions of social upheaval and virtually creating a western country after a period of a few years were unrealistic,” reports Aftenposten, quoting the Defence Minister.

norwayministerofdefence, espenbartheide, norwayafghanistanpullout



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Norway M.O.D: Several Afghan measures ‘improbable’

Published on Tuesday, 6th December, 2011 at 10:33 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson and Ioana Dan   .
Last Updated on 6th December 2011 at 11:07.

On a current visit to Meymaneh, Minister of Defence Espen Barth Eide admits military forces were idealistic regarding the operation.

Espen Barth Eide addressing troops
Espen Barth Eide addressing troops
Photo: Forsvaret, Kim Gulbrandsen


Addressing Norway’s troops, Monday, the minister said, “The mission’s most important ambition was to prevent the county becoming a place of deployment for terrorism, whilst we simultaneously laid a foundation for an improved system of government. I believe this was achieved.”

“However, it’s clear that many ambitions of social upheaval and virtually creating a western country after a period of a few years were unrealistic,” reports Aftenposten, quoting the Defence Minister.

Declaring, “The prognoses show the Afghans will be capable of managing security by this coming summer,” the Minister of Defence has announced Norwegian ISAF soldiers will begin returning from the Faryab Province next year.

The Alliance announced at last year’s Lisbon summit it would be transferring responsibility for security matters from NATO to Afghan troops.

“We aim to wind-up our Northern Afghanistan troop contribution in a controlled and sustainable manner. There are no plans for Norwegian military forces to be permanently stationed in Meymaneh past the summer of 2013,” said Defence Minister Barth Eide in a press statement.

He underlined there are now plans for a smaller, modified contribution in Mazar-e-Sharif until ISAF has completely ended its mission.

NATO has stated there will be a gradual decrease of international military presence towards the end of 2014.

Minister Barth Eide also talked of Norway’s PRT 18 (Provincial Reconstruction Team) swapping roles with Latvia in Meymaneh, who will take over forces’ current so-called “Partnering” with Afghan forces. Norway will assume responsibility for security, protection, and escort.

“The Norwegian reorganisation is coordinated closely withNATO and other allies in ISAF. The Government adheres to the principle that we came to Afghanistan with our allies, and will consequently leave the country together with them,” he concluded.

In other news, 48 people were killed and more than 100 hundred were injured after a suicide bomber attacked a Shi'ite Muslim shrine in the centre of Kabul, Tuesday.

Criminal investigation department chief Mohammad Zahir said to Reuters, "48 civilians (were) killed and more than 100 wounded including women and children. It's not clear yet who carried out the attack. Nobody has claimed responsibility." He added the death toll could climb.




Published on Tuesday, 6th December, 2011 at 10:33 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson and Ioana Dan   .
Last updated on 6th December 2011 at 11:07.

This post has the following tags: norwayministerofdefence, espenbartheide, norwayafghanistanpullout.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!