Oslo bomb plotters may be convicted / News / The Foreigner

The Foreigner Oslo bomb plotters may be convicted. Three terror suspects with possible Al-Qaida links could face charges for attempting terrorist attacks in Norway last year. Police Security Service (PST) personnel allege 39-year-old Uygur (China) Mikael Davud, David Jakobsen, 31, from Uzbekistan, and Iraqi Kurd Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak, 37, plotted to bomb a Norwegian target. Mr Davud claims this was the Chinese Embassy. The alleged terrorists, who originally came to Norway as asylum seekers, were arrested last year. Two were seized in a police raid in Oslo on July 8, whilst Mr Bujak was apprehended in Duisburg, Germany. Police extradited him to Norway a week later.

policesecurityservice, norwayterroristattacks, al-qaida



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Oslo bomb plotters may be convicted

Published on Friday, 8th July, 2011 at 17:21 under the news category, by John Price   .

Three terror suspects with possible Al-Qaida links could face charges for attempting terrorist attacks in Norway last year.



Police Security Service (PST) personnel allege 39-year-old Uygur (China) Mikael Davud, David Jakobsen, 31, from Uzbekistan, and Iraqi Kurd Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak, 37, plotted to bomb a Norwegian target. Mr Davud claims this was the Chinese Embassy.

The alleged terrorists, who originally came to Norway as asylum seekers, were arrested last year. Two were seized in a police raid in Oslo on July 8, whilst Mr Bujak was apprehended in Duisburg, Germany. Police extradited him to Norway a week later.

Subsequent investigations have revealed Mr Bujak admitted he planned to blow up Danish paper Jyllands-Posten, following its publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons in 2005.

Mr Davud, in whose apartment near Ullevål University Hospital (UUS) police found enough explosive material to make one large or several smaller bombs for the Norwegian target, has admitted to some of the terrorism charges.

According to Reuters, Mr Jakobsen said he has not done anything illegal and was released from custody in October 2010 after the Norwegian Supreme Court rejected a security service appeal to keep him in prison. He is still under suspicion.

The PST has refused to go into further details regarding today’s proposal of charges, sent to the Prosecuting Authority (Statsadvokaten). However, lawyer Carl Konow Rieber-Mohn, defending the alleged terrorist mastermind Mikael Davud, told NRK about today’s move that “It’s certainly about time and remains to be seen how this will be handled.”

“We have always been prepared the PST will ask for charges to be raised, so this comes as no surprise,” says David Jakobsen’s lawyer, Rene Ibsen.



Published on Friday, 8th July, 2011 at 17:21 under the news category, by John Price   .

This post has the following tags: policesecurityservice, norwayterroristattacks, al-qaida.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!