Police tie extremist video to protest / News / The Foreigner

Police tie extremist video to protest. UPDATED: Whilst Scandinavia is reportedly a top European terror target, Norwegian security officials have linked the hate video citing the royal family and government to Friday’s demonstration. Officers say organisers ‘Demonstration: Norwegian troops out of Afghanistan’ have told them they expect between 500 and 700 people to assemble before the Parliament. Counter-demonstrations are also planned. Police Security Service (PST) investigations into the video have so far revealed two central names, reports Aftenposten. Arfan Bhatti was arrested and charged in 2006, but later freed, for planning terrorism against US and Israeli targets. He was also placed in custody as a preventative measure preceding US President Barack Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize visit to Oslo.

muslimextremistsnorway, videothreatcrownprincehaakon, jensstoltenbergvideothreat, norwegiansoldiersafghanistan



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Police tie extremist video to protest

Published on Wednesday, 18th January, 2012 at 13:04 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last Updated on 18th January 2012 at 14:20.

UPDATED: Whilst Scandinavia is reportedly a top European terror target, Norwegian security officials have linked the hate video citing the royal family and government to Friday’s demonstration.

Norwegian Parliament building
Up to 700 demonstrators are expected to protest against Norway's involvement in AfghanistanNorwegian Parliament building
Photo: Norwegian Parliament/Flickr


Go-ahead

Officers say organisers ‘Demonstration: Norwegian troops out of Afghanistan’ have told them they expect between 500 and 700 people to assemble before the Parliament. Counter-demonstrations are also planned. Police Security Service (PST) investigations into the video have so far revealed two central names, reports Aftenposten.

Arfan Bhatti was arrested and charged in 2006, but later freed, for planning terrorism against US and Israeli targets. He was also placed in custody as a preventative measure preceding US President Barack Obama’s Nobel Peace Prize visit to Oslo.

The second is outspoken Muslim Mohyeldeen Mohammad, who praised the roadside bomb killing of Norwegian soldiers in Afghanistan last year.

He also participated at a demonstration in the wake of Dagbladet’s decision to reproduce a controversial cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed, warning of a 9/11-style attack on Norway.

Neither will comment on the video, or whom they believe compiled the footage, states their lawyer, John Christian Elden.

Confirming his clients will be attending Friday’s protest, he told the paper, “Both will be actively participating in the demonstration against Norwegian involvement in Afghanistan, which their democratic rights entitle them to.”

The PST are also aware of several additional videos that can be tied to yesterday’s, but there are still no plans to halt the planned protest, according to Aftenposten.

“There’s nothing to suggest that we should stop the demonstration based on current knowledge,” says Oslo District Police’s Snorre Haugen, repeating his previous statements that holding organisers responsible for everything published on a Facebook page is difficult.

Integrated

Meanwhile, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI) experts are in no doubt the propagandist al-Qaida-inspired Norwegian-language footage was made in this country. 

“This is the first time we see a so-called Jihadist video tailor-made for Norway. Some earlier ones, amongst others made in connection with the mid-2000 caricature controversy, were produced elsewhere but with Norwegian text added,” says researcher Thomas Hegghammer.

Moreover, colleague Brynjar Lia, believes the footage indicates Norway now has its own Norwegian-born extreme Islamists.

Whilst earlier ones were born, and directed their jihadist message abroad, “a new generation of Islamists has sprung up now who speak Norwegian, belong to Norwegian society, and has focused its attention on Norway. This has resulted in these militant Muslims making their presence known in Norway in a completely different way to how the first-generation ones one did,” he concludes.



Published on Wednesday, 18th January, 2012 at 13:04 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last updated on 18th January 2012 at 14:20.

This post has the following tags: muslimextremistsnorway, videothreatcrownprincehaakon, jensstoltenbergvideothreat, norwegiansoldiersafghanistan.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!