Sjursøya train crash lawsuit starts today / News / The Foreigner

Sjursøya train crash lawsuit starts today. Victims’ relatives and those injured in last year’s Sjursøya runaway goods train disaster are to meet CargoNet in Oslo District Court today in a claim for compensation. Three people were killed and four injured, three of them seriously, when 16 runaway goods cars weighing 430 tons left the Alnabru loading/unloading terminal on March 24, travelling at speeds of up to 140 kph along eight kilometers of track before ending up in the fjord. Prosecuting authorities awarded fines totaling 22 million kroner against the Norwegian National Rail Administration (Jernbaneverket) and operators CargoNet for negligence and violating sections of the Railways Act concerning accident-prevention.

oslodistrictcourt, alnabruloadingterminal, sjusoeyatraindisaster, cargonet, norwegiannationalrailadministration



The Foreigner Logo

The Foreigner is an online publication for English speakers living or who have an interest in Norway. Whether it’s a glimpse of news or entertainment you’re after, there’s no need to leave your linguistic armchair. You don’t need to cry over the demise of the English pages of Aftenposten.no, The Foreigner is here!

Norske nyheter på engelsk fra Norge. The Foreigner er en engelskspråklig internett avis for de som bor eller som er interessert i Norge.

Google+ Google+ Twitter Facebook RSS RSS



News Article

LATEST:

Sjursøya train crash lawsuit starts today

Published on Monday, 16th May, 2011 at 14:49 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last Updated on 18th May 2011 at 09:06.

Victims’ relatives and those injured in last year’s Sjursøya runaway goods train disaster are to meet CargoNet in Oslo District Court today in a claim for compensation.

CargoNet train (illustration photo)
CargoNet train (illustration photo)
Photo: CargoNet


Three people were killed and four injured, three of them seriously, when 16 runaway goods cars weighing 430 tons left the Alnabru loading/unloading terminal on March 24, travelling at speeds of up to 140 kph along eight kilometers of track before ending up in the fjord.

Prosecuting authorities awarded fines totaling 22 million kroner against the Norwegian National Rail Administration (Jernbaneverket) and operators CargoNet for negligence and violating sections of the Railways Act concerning accident-prevention.

Whilst the administration accepted the 15 million kroner penalty CargoNet refused to pay its 7 million, disagreeing “with the factualbasisforthe fine that the police prosecutor has put forward,” the company’s press spokesperson told Aftenposten in October 2010.

Oslo police prosecutor Carl Graff Hartmann says he will be calling up to 30 witnesses and show the court evidence documenting conditions at Alnabru on behalf of the 13 victims.

“This is a very serious matter and we believe CargoNet is also responsible for what happened,” he says.




Published on Monday, 16th May, 2011 at 14:49 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson   .
Last updated on 18th May 2011 at 09:06.

This post has the following tags: oslodistrictcourt, alnabruloadingterminal, sjusoeyatraindisaster, cargonet, norwegiannationalrailadministration.





  
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!